Why I write and why you should too

I started this blog about 12 months in to my PhD.

My monster was turning 2. My mental abilities were returning post-sleep deprivation.

As a new mum, I would look at this blog/instagram/Facebook malarkey and wonder why someone would even bother taking the effort of doing this, given the demands of being a mum. As a PhD student, I would think the same. It is time consuming, especially when there is a thesis to write!

Here are a few reasons I did:

1. Returning to the PhD after being mum, I felt a sudden lack of confidence. In my ability as an academic and generally as a writer. The process of writing the blog, however imperfect the spelling/grammar/style really helped me to get back onboard with the writing process. This reason alone has made blogging worthwhile.


2. I don't really write with the idea that loads of people will read it, or to provide lots of advice, but the process for me is very cathartic. A psychological break from the daily grind. I hope that somewhere, a mum who is thinking of returning to education or students who are struggling with the academic demands, read through some of my experience and feel like they can do it. No one is alone in their journey.


3. Being on social media and the interactive process of seeing other people's experience and equally sharing mine: it has made me realise it's ok to not feel happy/confident/like "super mum" constantly. And that, together, we are all muddling along. I have been a terrible mum in that I never joined any baby groups or mum groups. The idea of forced friends because we all got pregnant at the same time I find weird. I don't consider myself antisocial but I get so uncomfortable in strange groups and feel so ill equipped to make mum friends - I am a person who makes crap jokes and says the wrong things. The online community has really supported me in my misconceptions of what the "perfect mum" is. 



4. Writing the blog helps me write about my research in a non-technical way so that anyone (including myself) can understand what I am doing, and why. I am yet to really write about my research on my blog - that is generally because I am writing my thesis alongside this blog and so I am generally sick of it (haha!) but each post reminds me of my writing style and to keep descriptions concise. This has applied itself well to my thesis and to papers I am currently writing.


Overall, to mums and students alike, I would definitely recommend starting a blog. Not only will you find some amazing people doing a similar thing to you, but you will find support during the tough times and your writing will definitely improve. It's also quite nice to look back over your progress when you are having a bad day - you can remind yourself of how far you have come.


Soo what are you waiting for?! I look forward to reading it.

Mum, PhD 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multitasking deadlines and parenting

12 months in: Upgrade time!

5 points to consider when returning to education as a parent