Defending your thesis (The VIVA)

It seems so surreal to be able to write about my viva - in which I had to defend my research. It means I have actually done a PhD (!), and survived the process! (I have no idea how long it will take before this sinks in). I had previously read the experience of others and doubted if I would ever make it to this point. I'm sure this is a common feeling to all PhDers - especially those with a toddler hanging off you - at so many points along the journey. Whilst it's all fresh in my mind, I thought I would write about my viva, so that if you are prepping for yours, you can read this and hopefully feel a bit more "ready"! 
Pre-viva prep
I had about 8 weeks between submitting the thesis and my viva. I didn't look at my thesis until 3 weeks before. This gave me a much needed break and time to think about other stuff. From t-minus 3 weeks, I read through each chapter and made notes - I made a summary of each one, looked for new research, thought about potential questions that could be asked. I had a list of generic PhD questions which I looked through and thought about what my responses might be. I wasn't asked many of these generic questions on the actual day but they helped me to start thinking about my thesis as a piece of work. 
I had a mock viva exactly a week before the real thing with a person I didn't know. It was so helpful! I would highly recommend this. The process of speaking is so different when it's to a stranger. She gave some brilliant advice, one of which I used on the actual day: "think of circles" - What benefits are there from this research for the patient, for the family, the medical team, the hospital, the NHS, and then policy and the public. It really helped me structure my response to the "what is the importance of your results".
Viva day
On the actual day, when I walked in the room, the examiners smiled; which put me at ease straight away. They seems approachable, and dare I say it, even like "normal" people. Prior to going in, I had been waiting around for about 20 minutes which felt forever and only built up my anxiety as there was nothing productive I could do in this time! 


Before the viva, both examiners had that 8 weeks to read the thesis. During this time, they had written down questions which they had about the content. This formed the basis of the interview.
One examiner took the lead and explained what would happen in the viva, and then the questions began....
Why was i interested in this topic & what led me to the research question (not quite the "summarise your research" question that I was expecting as question 1 which confused me for a moment). 
Then the examiners went through each chapter. Chapter 1 was my intro. This took the most time as they really probed me for my understanding of the literature and where my research fits within this. During this time we were also talking about implications/discussion points, which was unexpected. But obviously, the examiners had read the whole thesis and were discussing it as a whole piece so frequently moved between chapters. There were many moments during the viva that I felt complete dread as I either didn't understand what they were asking straight away or I wasn't sure exactly how to respond. However, I took time to compose myself and asked for clarity when needed. I think the nerves were evident as the examiners were very understanding and took every effort to explain things in another way.
I was asked if there was any additional analyses or research that I had done which hadn't been presented within the thesis. I wasn't expecting this question but it gave me a great opportunity to discuss other work I had done.
The rest of the chapters were more about what I had done, key decisions that had been made and why, and what alternative/additional methodologies could have been employed. I found these sections easier to respond to. As a non-clinical researcher, I have always found the theory difficult - particularly because I am not a doctor of palliative care and I feel like a fraud. But my research methodology and statistical knowledge are areas that I am confident in. 
After this, there was a lot of discussion about some potential additional analyses that could be done - not particularly relevant for the thesis, but for interest and because the data was available. The examiners seemed genuinely interested, not just in my results, but the methodology too..which was very flattering.
My viva lasted 4 hours. In all honesty, it flew by. 
I would equate it to a real time peer review. When you prepare an article and send it off for peer review, you never know what they are going to pick up on. The reviewers generally have their own take on the results. During the viva, you have the joy of getting the reviewers comments in person. And similarly to a paper response, you have to strike that delicate balance of defending what you did with agreeing their assessment is accurate and an underlying plea "please accept/pass me".
I was asked to leave the room whilst they discussed the outcome. After about 20 minutes, one examiner came out and went to shake my hand, saying "congratulations, Dr. White". I was on the verge of tears. I think if my colleagues hadn't been there, I would have been in floods. It was such an amazing way to tell me I had passed and I really felt a sense of accomplishment and, for that moment, that I was an academic equal. 
I feel that I am lucky to have had such excellent supervisory team who had carefully selected two of the nicest/most human examiners for me. They really did make the difference in my ability to engage and feel confident. I have had some terrible interviews, in which the interviewer was terrifying. I never do well in those scenarios. 

via GIPHY
Key summary points for your viva:
  • It's important to be able to summarise what you did, to know how your research "fits" in the wider setting i.e. what are the implications of your results and how will it impact current theories/policies. What was missing in the literature before and what do your results add to it?
  • It's important to acknowledge the limitations of the research (you are only human and this is only a small blip in the grand field of "research") and what else could have been done either instead or in addition to your work. 
  • It's important to highlight how "new" your study is and what it contributes to current knowledge - one of the main criteria of the PhD (within this you can say how potential future studies could enhance/support what you found).
  • Equally describe how you have grown to become an independent researcher - which is the whole point of the PhD. 
 Go get 'em!


Mum, PhD. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multitasking deadlines and parenting

12 months in: Upgrade time!

5 points to consider when returning to education as a parent