Save The Dates


After my partner proposed last spring, I had this idea that I wanted to have beer mats for my save the dates. I went on to a well-known wedding website and saw the sort of thing I wanted. I got a quote for £1,800. 

Erm….no thanks.

So. I made some myself. In 4 easy (but relatively time consuming) steps.



Figure 1: my beer mat save the dates



Now, obviously, the final results (See Figure 1) were not as professional as if I had paid £1,800 to get them done. BUT, I have about £1,700 still in my pocket now and they have that “home-made” charm about them. Which leaves me feeling a little bit smug.

Each mat had the same design on the front and our names, the date, and the wedding website on the back (we are having a paperless wedding invite so the website is key).

The front of the mat required two stamps, the back required one. I designed these using publisher.

Here is what I ordered and the prices are guestimates from memory:

3 x Stamps (with my own design) £50
2 x acrylic stamp squares (to act as the handle) about £5
1 x sticky stamp stuff to adhere the stamp to the handle about £5
4 x embossing powder (£4 a pot)
2 x Ink pad (£6 each)
All of the above were from the English stamp company. They were BRILLIANT! I contacted them with my idea and they suggested embossing. I had never heard of it before. Such helpful staff.
Beer mats – I ordered these from a beer mat company. 100 for £10. Bargain. I ordered two sets of these in the end as I messed up quite a few in the beginning.
I got a heat gun of ebay for £6.
2 x Spray paint (£7 each)
Pack of white card for printing the inserts (£5 ish)
Envelopes – I can’t remember in full honesty but they were about £3 ish and fit the beer mat and insert exactly.

So for around £140 I made similar save the dates for what I was quoted £1,800 for.

To give an idea of time: I started making them in October and finished in February. I made about 90 final mats to send out but about another 50 that were too shit to send out. But this was very much a night or two a week of a few hours work at a time, when I could be bothered. I also have the luxury of the long engagement time so no rush. I am sure this would easily take less time. But do expect to make a lot of crap ones in the process.

Step 1: order the stamps

I designed my stamps myself. I loved the idea of dandelions. I had seen something like it on pinterest. So I spoke to the stamp company, sent my designs in, and got a stamp about a week later.

Step 2: paint the beer mats


When the mats arrive, use the spray paint. I found the spray paint had a good even coverage and was a good base for the embossing process.


Step 2: stamp the ink

Before you stamp. Get an old pair of tights and cut the toes section off. Put some talc powder in it and tie up. Use this to wipe over the beer mat. This removes any static and stops the powder from the embossing section from sticking to anywhere other than the ink (which you will be extremely grateful of when it comes to shaking off the excess!).

I trialled many types of ink but found the inkpad from the English Stamp company the best to you. I tried white acrylic paint, white liquid ink….nothing was as good as the inkpad.

Step 3: emboss

Go for it! Pour the powder over, shake off, use the heat gun to set it. 



I loved making them. I am partial to crafting anyways but doing it for my wedding was extra special.

Save yourself a grand. Get your bridesmaids, a bottle of wine (or 5) and have fun!

Mum, PhD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multitasking deadlines and parenting

12 months in: Upgrade time!

5 points to consider when returning to education as a parent