Imposter Syndrome

@sujanee is getting a group of PhD instagram accounts together to discuss how this syndrome affects them. I think its a great idea in order to help future PhD students realise: it’s not just you.

What is imposter syndrome?
Imposter syndrome can be equated to feeling like a fraud. That you dont deserve the position you are in and everything you achieve is a “fluke”. Did you know Albert Einstein was affected by this syndrome.

Imposter Syndrome: mum life
As a mum, I am kind of use to that imposter feeling of “winging it” or “making it up as i go along”. The support I’ve found on here and within my own support network has been fantastic for my mental health. With the positive affirmations that I am the best mum I can be without having all the answers and thats ok.

Imposter Syndrome: PhD life
However, you would think in your job, you should feel more accomplished. But being a PhD student (which is the same as a job) is almost synonymous with imposter syndrome. Its intricately woven throughout the entire journey with constant reminders of “you are still learning” along the way. Whats interesting, is that during the PhD you have a vague hope that once you graduate, this feeling will subside. After all, you are an expert in your field. But I have recently learned that it does not stop. Knowing more about your very specific field makes you realise how much more there is that you don’t know. Meetings with Professors and “world leaders” (how do you become one of these in research?) is still as intimidating as it was as a phd student.

Coping with imposter syndrome
So what do we do if imposter syndrome does not disappear? I have found it a useful motivator (now I can recognise the feelings as imposter syndrome). It encourages me to prepare for meetings. I have also found that feeling like an imposter encourages me to keep simplistic research goals and ideas. I have found that these tend to make the best papers and research applications. By keeping them simple - i am at least confident when presenting the ideas to others. I know i am not that sort of person to sit and discuss philosophies or theories, i like to get on with it and do research that will have direct impact on the care of the dying. So, for me, the imposter syndrome encourages me to play to my strengths and simply recognise where I need more support. There is a good article from the guardian that discusses additional coping mechanisms - there are loads of articles out there with coping strategies - keep going until you find something that works for you. Look at Einstein and what he accomplished whilst feeling like a fraud. 

Mum, PhD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multitasking deadlines and parenting

12 months in: Upgrade time!

5 points to consider when returning to education as a parent